Improving NPS by Blowing up the Employee and Customer Experience
Presented by MOFI
The Health and Wellness division of a major retailer realized that a broken employee experience was leading to a poor customer experience. The division had lost sight of putting their customers first and were prioritizing process over caring, which lead to lower-than-expected NPS scores, a higher volume of customer complaint calls, and disengaged employees.
In collaboration with the Disney Institute, MOFI helped refocus the company’s employee experience, empowering them with the tools and training needed to deliver a people-centric customer experience every day.
The tools and training included:
- The development of a “North Star” to unify the employees around a shared “why”
- Interactive in-person training for team members to embrace and apply the common purpose to customer interactions
- Interactive in-person training for leaders to learn how to embody the common purpose with their teams
- The development of a common language (words and phrases) to bring the common purpose to life
- Interactive in-person training to equip team members with the basic elements of the common language
- 85,000 employees trained in a nine-month period
- 7-point increase in NPS in the 18 months that followed the initial training
- 5-point increase in NPS in the quarter that followed the initial training
- 33% fewer complaints in the quarter that followed the training
- NPS can be increased by improved the employee experience
- Improving the employee experience required a multi-faceted shift in culture that includes aligning team members to a common purpose and providing them with the training and practical tools they need to bring the common purpose to life.
- Sustaining an improved employee experience (and continuing to increase the NPS) required organizational change over time, which requires buy-un from all levels of leadership. Critical components for successful change include a commitment from the executive team, a revised operations plan, and specialized training, tools, and coaching for all levels of leadership.
“Many of our team members are good at their jobs but do not interact with others in a positive way that builds connections. This initiative gives them the tools to do that successfully and will create a better work environment.”
“Having people from different levels in the same room for the training was a little bit of a shock at first, but ended up making a huge difference. This is the beginning of a whole new way of doing things.”
“I’ve worked here for eleven years. This is the first time I’ve felt this positive about being supported in my job. I finally get it. This is so much bigger than me.”
MOFI partners with top companies across multiple industries to fuel their disruption efforts and empower them to find big, bold solutions to their biggest, hairiest problems
OUR DESIGN PRINCIPLES
All disruption journeys begin by pressing the pause button, diving into the deep end of the empathy pool, and figuring out how you can make your consumers feel known and cared for.
By harnessing each new day’s opportunity to take it up a notch, you get to earn loyalty and make people feel special by declaring that every night is opening night.
MAKE IT EASY
The world is already filled with too many over-complicated systems. Give them the gift of demolishing the barriers that make people want to poke their eyeballs out.
The World in Fast Forward: A Sneak Peak at the Jobs of Tomorrow from CES 2021
After a year of sheltering-in-place, experiencing CES 2021 (even though CES went all virtual for the first time) was like mainlining inspiration. To bottle that enthusiasm the MOFI team isolated key signals of change in nine core market sectors and stirred up snackable engagement activities designed to draw out provocative conversations so scorching you’ll break out in a sweat.